Kasey Litt

Kasey Litt

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Cards


So dear readers, many of you know that I've been sick since I got back from Germany so I haven't been especially creative.  Creative and sick do not equal completion of projects!!!  I did manage, however, to get a few Easter cards done that I wanted to share with you.  I was trying out some different techniques - layering cutouts of the same stamp to add dimension and then glazing over the petals with our Crystal Effects which is a self-leveling adhesive/glaze.  You can sprinkle in some glitter while it is drying and it is absolutely awesome!  I was really pleased with the result.  I also used a paper sueding technique for the "ribbon".  I tore of a piece of coral pink paper and ran it through the crimper (one of my favorite tools!!!!).  Then I took the end of a long, thin paintbrush and pulled the paper like I was curling ribbon with a pair of scissors.  I did this a couple of times to break down the fiber in the paper.  It is important that you use paper that is made of color fiber throughout and not paper with a white core.  With the Stampin' Up cardstock, I never have to worry about white core showing through because it is colored throughout the paper.  As the paper fibers break down, you'll be able to peel the layers of paper apart leaving a very soft, suede-like texture that is really flexible.  Then I just laid down some terribley tachy tape and ruffled the paper.
The rose itself is a stamp from our Fifth Avenue Floral Stamp set which I absolutely love.  In my Crafty Girls-Suwanee Chapter we used this stamp with white ink on black paper and then used the pastel chalks and an aqua painter to color the flowers.  It is very versatile.  We even have a Sizzix texture folder that matches the big rose stamp.  I stamped three copies of the rose and painted each real red using a couple of drops of reinker and the aqua painter (I just put the drops of ink on a paper plate that was waxed top).  Then I went back over with a few drops of Elegant Eggplant and the aqua painter and did the edges of the petals.  Then I cut out the "heart" of the rose from one stamped image, a mid-layer cut and then on the bottom I had the whole stamped image.
Before I layered the stamped images though, after the watercolor had dried, I applied a coat of Crystal Effects to each layer.  Crystal Effects is a glaze that is self-levelling.  It is a great adhesive but when you want to ad some dimension and some shiny texture to your project, think about using Crystal Effects.
Once the Crystal Effects dried, I layered each layer with Stampin' Dimensionals.  The final step was using the small hole punch on my Cropadile through the middle (Dimensionals and all) and then I placed a rhinestone brad in the center. 
If you'd like to make this card for Mother's Day, it is one of the items we'll be making in our April Crafty Girl workshop on Tuesday, April 20th.  We we also be making a gift for Mom!  Join the Crafty Girl Club (a six month commitment for a $25 monthly purchase) or come for $10 per workshop to cover the cost of materials.  All Acworth chapter classes are held in the Crafty Girl Craft Pit (I took over my husband's man pit!) at my home -- 6125 Fairlong Run, Acworth, GA 30101 in the Brookstone II subdivision.

No comments:

Post a Comment